Make an Online Donation
Please Click Donate Button to donate online Donate
Volunteers are the backbone of the youth programs conducted by any Community Committee. On average, the ratio of staff to volunteers in the Chicago Area Project setting is about one to thirteen (1:13). Several roles are available for CAP volunteers. These include: mentoring, serving on the Board of Directors, supervision of ongoing program activities (unpaid staff), serving as speakers/presenters/hosts from local businesses and recruitment of new members and volunteers.
Mentoring by adult role models is a basic and significant component of CAP's approach to working with youth. An important part of the Adult mentoring role is to provide community supervision of youth referred b y the school, police, or officially by the Juvenile Court for supervision or probation. Such referred youth will be placed in youth programs at CAP sites, and will not be identified as any different from the other participants. However, during program activity, volunteer mentors are instructed to give guidance and otherwise build a relationship with these youth.
The following definitions of basic volunteer activities :
- Mentor: A one-on-one unsupervised relationship to serve as a role-model for youth.
- Coach: A teacher of athletic skills and teamwork to a group of youth.
- Tutor: An individual who assists youth with academics, either one-on-one or in a group.
- Homework Helper: An individual who assists youth, individually or in a group, with completion of schoolwork.
- Administrative Support: An individual who performs tasks such as data entry, photocopying, filing, etc. and assists with mailings and special projects.
- Chaperone: An individual who accompanies and supervises youth on field trips with staff present.
- Activity Leader: An individual who carries out a planned activity as designated and approved by staff.
- Babysitter: An individual who provides one-on-one or group supervision of youth during agency, adult-focused activities. Babysitting will take place on-site where the agency activity is occurring.
For More Information on Volunteer Activities Please Contact Kathleen Mosley